cc-sampling - Re: [cc-sampling] name?

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: mark / negativland <markhosler AT charter.net>
  • To: Chris Grigg <chris AT grigg.org>, cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [cc-sampling] name?
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 20:15:53 -0700

At 1:23 PM -0700 9/13/03, Chris Grigg wrote:
Cory said:
Not tryign to be a PITA, trying not to name the license with something that is threatening or confusing or hard-to-remember.

I think the point is to name the license something that, when you see it on a list on the CC website, you immediately can say "a ha! That's the one for me!"

I think those are reasonable criteria for the name.

With all respect to David meme, things we might want to avoid might include 'music' 'sound' and 'sampling' since they are heavily laden with pre-existing but incompatible meanings in some of the communities that the license would touch.

How about something more neutral, and, since the license is intended for works in any medium (or mixture of media, for that matter), something not tied to recorded music per se... perhaps more along the lines of:

Creative Re-Use License
Creative Derivative Licence
Collage License

These are good, but some folks might not know what these mean.

How about "Creative Re-Use, Sampling and Appropriation License".??

or "Creative Re-Use/Sampling/Appropriation License"? or something like that.

Neither of these have a "zing" to them, that's for sure, but in this case I just want folks to see it and know what it probably is from from the title.

From all the coverage these issues have gotten over the years, and from all the artists I've met who do this kind of stuff, everyone has slightly different terms they use for this sort of work. So whatever title is chosen, it will be best that it be something that uses more than one term, so as to be more likely to be clear to the greatest number of artists, users and re-users...in whatever medium they choose to use

(though 'collage' makes potential incorrect assumption about the re-user's choice of technique)

yeah, that might be a good reason to leave that one out. Sooner or later Don will chime in with his masters degree in art opinion. Don! Where are ya??

mark

'Creative Derivative' rhymes (in a primitive way), would I think speak to lawyers (emphasizing the distinction to non-creative derivative re-uses) as well as to laypeople ('creative' being seen as positive), and it has a nice rhythm when spoken aloud.

--- Chris G.

P.S. to Cory: We really should get together and talk about Disneyland some time.