cc-sampling - Re: [cc-sampling] name?

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: mark / negativland <markhosler AT charter.net>
  • To: Chris Grigg <chris AT grigg.org>, cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [cc-sampling] name?
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 20:29:26 -0700

At 7:50 PM -0700 9/13/03, Chris Grigg wrote:
Lisa said:
"Sampling" is relatively straightforward and understandable to the average artist.

Sure, but it's only understood to mean works incorporating bits of the original sound recording (or audiovisual print, for a film or video) per se. Whereas the license as currently written could cover, for example, a song/composition even where no re-use of a recording is involved; so "sampling" obscures that aspect of the meaning. At least to me.

yes! You go Grigg!

mark

-- Chris G.