baslinux - Re: [BL] ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 16:55:10 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

The ltmodem site says that the package does not work on 2.4.21. It is
not clear whether 2.4.31 will work. You or I will need to test
compiling it with 2.4.31. If you try this, you will need the 2.4.31
kernel source code package, unpacked where the source code can find
it. (3 most common locations: /usr/src/linux /usr/src/linux-2.4.31
/lib/modules/2.4.31/build) I don't have the 2.4.31 source tree set up
right now, so if you wait for me to build them, you will need to wait
at least a week.

I have the tree all set up (first location).

It might look in only one of the locations that I listed, so if the
build fails due to the path, it's a good idea to put symlinks in the
other two locations so it can find it anywhere it looks.

I cannot find a working site
from which to download the source - one is gone, another times out.

http://www.sfu.ca/~cth/ltmodem/
http://heby.de/ltmodem

Both of these are working for me.

Version 5.78

I think this version is old. Is there some reason why you are after
this particular version?

A site I read said the latest version was 5.78e. I will check your URLs.

Does anyone know why aic7xxx.o did not compile in 2.4.31 but did in
2.2.16? I configured it as module.

Did the kernel compile stop with an error message? If not, was it
listed in the output of cd /usr/src/linux; find | grep aic7xxx? If
not, that is very mysterious. Perhaps it's a bug.

I don't know how to look at an output list but it was not anywhere under drivers when I did a find -name aic7xxx.o

Did you post your 2.2.16 ltmodem modules?

I didn't build them. Other people already figured out how to get it
working with 2.2.16, I merely posted the directions on the BL list.

When I get the code I will try compiling for both kernels.

I have kernel source for that.

The driver I posted is the old, proprietary (Lucent?) driver. You
can't compile it from source. I don't know if the new driver will work
with 2.2.16, but I don't care since the old driver works well.
Where did you post the old driver for 2.2.16? Sorry if I am getting confused.

Probably not substantially. With my monitors, the monitor is still on
and the electron gun is still firing in blank mode.

I use a 13" TTL monitor - what would that do?

Probably saves a few watts. Many older monitors were not designed to
save power; what does the label on the monitor say about power
consumption?

'Samsung' Manufactured 1990. My first one from 1986 got burn-in so was dumped. The green light stays on the monitor when the computer is turned off. On the newer VGA monitors it goes yellow.

David