baslinux - Re: [BL] ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 13:14:11 -0700

sindi keesan wrote:
BL2 kernel 2.2.16 (my custom kernel with framebuffer support)

insmod slhc
insmod -f ppp2214

Did you remove the old ppp.o? It appears that you didn't.

Dialed.....and a lot of stuff about unable to handle kernel
paging request at firtual adress 60000000 current-> tss.cr3 =
....................... and stuff about registers (eax, ebx...)
Stack Call Trace Code
pppd failure ...

Somehow your 2.2.16 ppp.o got inserted. As I said before, this ppp.o
causes problems, so you must make sure that it does not get inserted.
To prevent it from being inserted, remove it and replace it with
ppp2214.o. If you leave the problematic 2.2.16 ppp.o in place, it will
get inserted and your kernel will crash, guaranteed.

I was then unable to dial on the other computer which is linked to this
one via a phone cord between the modems. Serial device is looped back,
just made an odd noise.

The kernel crash probably left the ltmodem in use.

I tested the ltmodem in BL3 before with 2.2.26 and Ken's setup, which
works. I have not tested 2.2.26 in BL2 (first I had to downgrade the
glibc). I have not tested 2.2.16 in BL3. Should I bother to do so?

Only if you will follow the directions which I already posted as
closely as possible. Otherwise, I cannot guarantee that it will work.

David, do you want to try these two modules with 2.2.16 in BL2?

I already did, successfully.

Maybe I should download the 2.2.26 kernel source and give up on 2.2.16.
How big is it?

15MB (bz2)

http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.2/linux-2.2.26.tar.bz2

David