baslinux - Re: [BL] ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 16:47:52 -0700

sindi keesan wrote:

> The ltmodem site says that the package does not work on 2.4.21. It is
> not clear whether 2.4.31 will work. You or I will need to test
> compiling it with 2.4.31. If you try this, you will need the 2.4.31
> kernel source code package, unpacked where the source code can find
> it. (3 most common locations: /usr/src/linux /usr/src/linux-2.4.31
> /lib/modules/2.4.31/build) I don't have the 2.4.31 source tree set up
> right now, so if you wait for me to build them, you will need to wait
> at least a week.

I have the tree all set up (first location).

It might look in only one of the locations that I listed, so if the
build fails due to the path, it's a good idea to put symlinks in the
other two locations so it can find it anywhere it looks.

I cannot find a working site
from which to download the source - one is gone, another times out.

http://www.sfu.ca/~cth/ltmodem/
http://heby.de/ltmodem

Both of these are working for me.

Version 5.78

I think this version is old. Is there some reason why you are after
this particular version?

Does anyone know why aic7xxx.o did not compile in 2.4.31 but did in
2.2.16? I configured it as module.

Did the kernel compile stop with an error message? If not, was it
listed in the output of cd /usr/src/linux; find | grep aic7xxx? If
not, that is very mysterious. Perhaps it's a bug.

Did you post your 2.2.16 ltmodem modules?

I didn't build them. Other people already figured out how to get it
working with 2.2.16, I merely posted the directions on the BL list.

I have kernel source for that.

The driver I posted is the old, proprietary (Lucent?) driver. You
can't compile it from source. I don't know if the new driver will work
with 2.2.16, but I don't care since the old driver works well.

> Probably not substantially. With my monitors, the monitor is still on
> and the electron gun is still firing in blank mode.

I use a 13" TTL monitor - what would that do?

Probably saves a few watts. Many older monitors were not designed to
save power; what does the label on the monitor say about power
consumption?

David