baslinux - Re: [BL] ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 16:18:30 -0700

sindi keesan wrote:

How do I compile ltmodem for 2.4.31? Do I have to recompile the kernel
first and then all the modules, or can I do just one module?

Ken originally reported his progress here:

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2006-January/009524.html

The ltmodem site says that the package does not work on 2.4.21. It is
not clear whether 2.4.31 will work. You or I will need to test
compiling it with 2.4.31. If you try this, you will need the 2.4.31
kernel source code package, unpacked where the source code can find
it. (3 most common locations: /usr/src/linux /usr/src/linux-2.4.31
/lib/modules/2.4.31/build) I don't have the 2.4.31 source tree set up
right now, so if you wait for me to build them, you will need to wait
at least a week.

Ken says you need to run three scripts with bash - see the Firstread file.

Steven, please could you find a tiny screen saver to use instead of the
screen blanker?

Is this in console mode? If so, what would you use for a screen saver?
Some kind of shell script with linux terminal escape sequences? One of
the BL1 vgalib programs?

These blasted ATX power supplies don't let you
plug in the monitor so it is not obvious whether the computer is on when
the screen is blank.

I hope you avoid touching the power supply if you service the computer
without unplugging the power cord. Although the input is 120 or 240V,
on modern power supplies it is stepped up to a higher voltage before
it is converted to the 3.3, 5, or 12V DC.

It probably saves more power than the screensaver would.

Probably not substantially. With my monitors, the monitor is still on
and the electron gun is still firing in blank mode.

David