baslinux - Re: [BL] ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 15:24:01 -0700

sindi keesan wrote:

I got the linux568.zip file with the driver ltmodem.o.
If I use your static pppd, do I still need the replacement ppp.o for
2.2.16?

Yes. The 2.2.16 ppp.o interacts with the ltmodem.o driver in an unsafe
way. To fix this, you can either use the older ppp.o or recompile the
2.2.16 ppp.o (when you rebuild the kernel). To fix the 2.2.16 ppp.o
source code, you need to apply this patch:

http://www13.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/personen/rehn/linux_on_travelmate516te/ltmodem-patch

Alternately, just edit /usr/src/linux/include/linux/tty.h and look for
these lines:

int alt_speed; /* For magic substitution of 38400 bps */
struct wait_queue *write_wait;
struct wait_queue *read_wait;
struct wait_queue *poll_wait;
struct tq_struct tq_hangup;
void *disc_data;
void *driver_data;

Remove this line:

struct wait_queue *poll_wait;

Then recompile and it should work with ltmodem.o.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linmodem-HOWTO-4.html

> The posting contains important details about how to set up the driver.
> The directions were written for BL3.32 but the process is about the
> same on BL2.

You need to insmod -f on BL2. I summarized the differences between
insertion on BL2 and BL3 in yet another post:

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2006-January/009335.html

I got the source code for the latest ltmodem and it needs a couple of
things that I don't have (reading the section for 2.2.16).

pstree (from SW7.1 procps.tgz, maybe also a library from there)

I wonder what it uses this for. Ken, which version of ltmodem did you
build, and what packages did you need to install to build it?

/usr/lib/libg++.so.2.7.28 or later - I could not find any file of this
type in SW7.1 8.1 or 9.1 - where does it come from? I have cxxlibs
package from SW8.1, which contains libstdc++ - do I need a symlink to
it?

I don't know what this is either. Maybe they made a typo?

I have the same or later versions for other required programs, or busybox
insmod and ps, which I hope are new enough but do not tell you their
version numbers with -V.

You shouldn't need insmod just to build a module.

I am supposed to ./build_module but of course that exited with an error.

What error? Was it related to libg++?

There is a source.tar.gz in the ltmodem* directory - do I need to ungzip
it?

The script is supposed to do that for you.

Instead of using lspci, which I don't have, I did
less /proc/pci
and found a line with 11c10440 on it, which identifies this as an ltmodem

I see 11c10458, which must be mine.

David