baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 with PCMCIA compact flash adaptor

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 with PCMCIA compact flash adaptor
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:53:10 -0700

On 8/25/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
>
> > sindi keesan wrote:
> >>
> >> Why doesn't BL3 need xset?
> >
> > It does. You will find it in /usr/X11R6/bin
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Steven
> >

> I found it and tried using it in BL2.
>
> The BL2 xset has a long list of dependencies, including libc.so.6 and
> libX11.so.6. BL3 has libc.so.5 and libX11.so.6.
>
> With Xvesa the BL2 xset fp+ /fontpath gives me error messages:
> X Error: 86
> Request Major Code 51 ( ) [ big circle]
> Error serial #7
> Current Serial #9
> This was AFTER I got a couple screenfuls of error messages about missing
> fonts trying to run abiword in BL2.

xset is sending the command to Xvesa which tells it to add the font path.
Xvesa doesn't like it, because xset is sending the command which only
the BL2 regular X server obeys. But the BL3 xset knows how to talk to
Xvesa.

> With xfbdev instead of Xvesa, in BL2, abiword did not even get this far -
> my error message was:
> GdkERROR BadValue
> serial 7 error code 2 request_code 51 minor code 0

Hmm. Very interesting. xset seems to work with Xfbdev (unless it gave an
error which you did not post) but it crashes Abiword. I thought that Xfbdev
and Xvesa were similar internally, but it seems that Xfbdev does not like
Gdk, while the BL3 Xvesa does?

> I tried the xset from BL3, which did not work because although I do have
> an acceptable libc.so.5, it did not like my libX11.so.6:
> 'can't load library libX11.so.6'

The libX11 from BL2 only works with libc.so.6 programs.

> Should I copy over the BL3 libX11.so.6 and somehow point xset at it?

Yes.

> (I forget how but I did this for a couple of netpbm programs, told them to
> look in a different place for a library).

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/libc5_libs" xset

This may not work if it looks in /usr/X11R6/lib before /libc5_libs. So you
may need to temporarily remove the BL2 X11.so.6 and perhaps point
X to that X11.so.6, while xset runs on the libc5-based libX11.so.6.

> Another problem. The vesafb kernel which David compiled does not seem to
> recognize fs type iso9660. mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdd /cd:
> 'fs type 9660 not supported by kernel'

I may have configured it to need the isofs module. Did you try inserting that
module? (get it from BL)

> I will try to (some day) compile my own fb kernel with built-in support
> for the DOS and CDROM file types (like BL2) unless David wants to redo his
> kernel with this support.

I encourage you to build your own. All you need to do is answer 'y' to the
framebuffer questions.

> Maybe vesafb can't be made to work with CD's?

I think it can.

> (Like the SMP kernel won't work with pppd).

That is due to a bug in linux 2.2.16, IIRC.

David