baslinux - Re: [BL] Tseng with X servers

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Tseng with X servers
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 01:27:28 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, James Miller wrote:

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

Is there some way to create your own working modeline line for a monitor?

I use xvidtune for generating modelines. It's gui'd, though there may be
CLI versions--dunno. You just adjust settings (left right, up down,
narrower wider) til it looks ok, then tell it to generate the modeline. I
think you do this by clicking "show." If you've run it from a terminal,
the modeline will show up in the terminal (stdout) and can be copied and
pasted into XF86Config. It's certainly available for all versions of
Slackware, though I'm not sure if it's a discrete package or part of some
larger package.

Thanks. I just got the s3v server working with a Compaq monitor, but the 1280 setting is too high a horizontal sync for the monitor so I think I would need a different modeline added to XF86Config. Xvesa works with 1280 on that monitor and computer. Unfortunately, svgalib, after displaying a file, crashes on exit and requires rebooting linux. zgv and links2 both do this. I will look at the config file for svgalib to see if it also has some adjustments to fix this problem. This computer won't insmod loop or boot DOS-based BL3.

So now my partner has one computer where svgalib works fine but netpbm crashes with floating point exception, and the other where svgalib crashes but netpbm works. I prefer zgv to xv for viewing photos.

James