baslinux - [BL] BIOS upgrade

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BIOS upgrade
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:09:27 +0000 (UTC)

My friend for whom we made a computer to take to school reports that the 2GB drive died (he checked with Maxtor's utility after e2fsck and mke2fs could not fix it, kept doing resets and producing garbage). Low-level format did not help either. For some odd reason, the first partition (BL2) was still working but the second one was unusable. He had not changed any settings in CMOS, one day things just went haywire after he had not used the computer for a week.

So he bought for $30 after rebate the cheapest smallest drive from Best Buy, which is 80GB. He had to move some jumpers to get BIOS to recognize 32GB. He asks if he needs to upgrade the BIOS to find the rest of it. Ebay had cheaper 4GB drives but people wanted up to $20 shipping on them!

Will linux (BL) ignore the BIOS here (is the kernel compiled to do so) and find the whole drive?

If not, can he download an award bios of the proper age (the manufacturer stopped supporting that 1997 board in 2000, at 3 years old) and upgrade that way, or must it be manufacturer specific?

He will use it only for linux.