baslinux - Re: [BL] printing in BL3 with wp

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] printing in BL3 with wp
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 21:11:05 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

But anyone else even with two linux-compatible
printers on two ports is going to have to use
the second port with lp

This is not true for lpd and other mainstream
Linux printing utilities.

unless the line near the end of 'wp' is modified.

wp is just a "cheap and nasty" routine for BasicLinux.
For serious printing I recommend you install lpd from
Slackware.

But why not modify wp to use the first printer port instead of the last, by changing the little script that has tail in it? This is beyond my abilities (to select the first instead of the last line). Maybe in a couple of months my partner will have learned how.

Can it be changed to set the device to lp0 instead
of to the last printer port found?

Sure, it's only a short script. Simply edit it to
do what you want.

But I don't know HOW to do this.

I can instead cat filename > /dev/lp0, or insmod parport_pc io=0x3bc, however other people with two printer ports will have the same problem I did. Are there people who have only one printer port that is NOT lp0?
Why did you write such a complicated script instead of just assuming everyone used lp0? Do some computers have lp1 but not lp0?
If I remove the parport card then the other port becomes lp0, I think - or does it remain lp1? (It becomes lpt1 in DOS, where 3bc is first, 3f8 second, and if there is only one port it is always lpt1 - maybe in linux 3bc is always lp0 and 3f8 always lp1?).

I have figured out a solution but I would like to learn more about this.