baslinux - [BL] printing in BL3 with wp

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] printing in BL3 with wp
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 04:20:20 +0000 (UTC)

I have two parports - the onboard one (3F8 I think is the standard) and one in my MDA-parport card which is 3bc and is lpt1 in DOS and lp0 in linux when I insmod parport_pc (which I think found both ports, at 3bc and 3f8).

I just printed to lpt1 in DOS but when I try to print a text file in Bl3 with wp it tells me lp1 is out of paper. There is a printer plugged into lp1 too but it is turned off.

Is wp set to use the standard io address for a printer port (e3f8) rather than to use lp0? In my case that port became lp1 when I added the card.
If so, is there some easy way I can set it to lp0 myself?

Probably setting the mda card to 3e8 would make it lpt2 (lp1) but most of my cards do not have jumpers, they are 3bc only which makes them lp0. I could disable the onboard port but I like having two ports for two printers.

Do I need to insmod parport_pc twice specifying the addresses, if it finds both parports the first time with the proper addresses?

When I try to cat filename > /dev/lp0 I get the first line printing across two lines (half a line on each) and nothing else. Am I doing this wrong? This happened on both my 2-parport computers. Ghostscript printed a pdf
properly (using a script based on the epson filter). I would prefer not to bother with lpr and having to be 'user'.

One computer with only one parport seems to have died so I can't test there and the other does not seem to work with printers even in DOS.

We gave up and printed in DOS on this 2-parport computer (lpt1).

Do I need to be user with lpd loaded in order to print email from a shell account while online with kermit? This is automatic when I dial in with DOS kermit.