baslinux - Re: [BL] printing in BL3 with wp

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] printing in BL3 with wp
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:55:15 +0000 (UTC)

I think linux simply does not like this printer or perhaps this printer port. To use wp with lp0 on a 2-printer-port system, I tried:
insmod parport_pc io=0x3bc
and then wp and print and I got the same results as
cat document > /dev/lp0 - some noises as if paper were trying to load and then blinking paper light.

I will try lp1 instead. The 'lp1 out of paper' appears to mean that nothing is plugged into that port. We just plugged in a second printer to lp1, dot-matrix with the paper out light one and one sheet of non-fanfold paper in it.

rmmod lp0, rmmod parport_pc, insmod parport_pc (letting it do both ports), insmod lp, dot-matrix printer on lp1: cat document > /dev/lp1 prints. So does wp, print - on lp1.

But the dot-matrix HP 672 on lp1 (cat document > /dev/lp1) still just loads a sheet of paper and stops with a blinking paper out light, but if I press the paper button it eventually does print. Maybe something is wrong with the printer but it seems to work okay in DOS.

A solution to my particular problem would seem to be putting the inkjet printer on lp0 and the dot-matrix on lp1 and printing with wp or cat document > /dev/lp1, and using lp0 (inkjet) as the default DOS printer.
I would also need to set up for lpr to work on lp1 not lp0. Do I need to use lpr to print mail from Pine via Kermit while online at a shell account? In DOS I just type Y and it prints.

But anyone else even with two linux-compatible printers on two ports is going to have to use the second port with lp unless the line near the end of 'wp' is modified. Can it be changed to set the device to lp0 instead of to the last printer port found? The other option is to insmod parport_pc only for the printer port you want to use in linux if it is not the last one.

The confusing part is that in DOS the default port is the first (lp0) and in the BL 'wp' it is the last (lp1 or even lp2 if you have three ports).
Perhaps wp could be changed to print to the first port by default.

So wp uses the last printer rather than lp0. How would I change it to use lp0 instead of lp1 where I have two lps? Can I simply edit it to read
device=lp0 ???

In cases of two parports, could you write a script that would choose the parport that is NOT 'out of paper' to print to?

Out of paper means not plugged in, in my case.

I still don't know why when I cat document > /dev/lp0 that will not print.
The lights flash and I hear some noises. DOS prints as lpt1. Linux does not even load paper - yellow paper light is blinking. I even tried
cat document |dos2unix - d (it is a linux document to start with).

Sometimes when I press the paper button it will print a page.