baslinux - Re: [BL] How do I port scan myself? [Firewall testing]

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] How do I port scan myself? [Firewall testing]
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:20:07 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Carl Reaburn wrote:

> I was not aware there were virtual linux machines capable of doing this. I
> may look at them later on. Having a familiar operating system in the
> control roll suites me right now. I may not know how to get myself out of
> trouble under Linux yet, but I know windows inside out.

Just for the record, here are the emulation programs or work-alikes I know
of that run under Linux: 1) Qemu is the one I hear most about lately,
under development but apparently already quite capable; 2) Bochs is an
older one that is probably more mature--I think it derives from the older
Plex86: said to be more resource-intensive; 3) Xen is the new kid on the
block, it seems, and receives rave reviews: apparently runs any other
Linux under Linux with near-native performance, and can run XP or under XP
but that requires illegal tweaks to the XP kernel; 4) UML (usermode Linux)
allows running Linux under Linux; 5) Colinux which allows Linux to run
under W2K/XP as a process: no Xwindows functionality without cygwin yet,
it seems. I think that covers all the major emulator projects. Not sure
about how/if any of these handle multiple NIC's though. Of course there
are DOS emulators too. Keep us posted on how BL is working for your
project.

James