baslinux - Re: [BL] How do I port scan myself? [Firewall testing]

  • From: "Carl Reaburn" <carlreaburn AT attech.net.au>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] How do I port scan myself? [Firewall testing]
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:14:43 +1100

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Carl Reaburn wrote:

I have a block of ip's running through my BL3 machine now, thanks to all of
you guys.

I want to scan the ip's to see if they are secure. Sites like grc.com will
scan the IP your surfing from, but not your gateway ip.

Is there a site I can input an ip into?

I've used grc.com and it scanned the gateway, seeing its address as the
one I was surfing from. This is on a Freesco router, which also uses
ipfwadm, so I'm not sure why my experience with it is different from
yours.

I have a block of IP's. The block is forwarded though my modem with one Ip set as the gateway. Another IP is nat routed through IPcop for general surfing on my network. The others are being used in the virtual machines. As far as I can see, I cant access the grc webpages from the virtual machines assigned the ip's I want to scan. I also cant scan the IP assigned as the gateway of my modem to make sure it is not showing any available connections.

I cant scan from one IP to another as it will be treated as friendly traffic by my router.

It's all terribly confusing, highly experimental, and probably violates a dozen routing regulations.

There are lots of online scanning services, so a google search
should get you plenty of results. Then, there's the Nessus program that's
made specifically to scan ports and find vulnerabilities. You seem to have
access to a Windows machine, so, though Nessus was written for Linux it
may have been ported to Windows and you might find and try running it on
your Windows machine (just a guess that it runs on Windows).

I'm curious about what you're up to. It sounds a little like one of my
unrealized grand plans of trying to run a router/firewall in a virtual
machine. Are you doing something like this with BL3? It would be really
interesting to hear more about it if you are or, if you're not, what
exactly you are doing.

Your dream has been realized thanks to M$ buying Virtual PC and letting you use more than one network card in each simulated machine.

basically I have a windows XP box with NO network protocols loaded at all. Just the hardware network card drivers, and virtual pc's driver. there is no need for XP to even have tcp/ip loaded as it will not be talking over the network. This also makes XP safe from attack as it will not respond to any packets sent to it, not even a ping!

If all works according to plan I will be able to feed a live IP into BL3 running on Virtual PC. BL3 will forward ports to other linux machines.
The other linux machines will also be running in Virtual PCs. By enabling the virtual switch on the second network card I should be able to share the routed packets among the Virtual machines on the same NIC. While turning off the virtual switch on the network card containing the live IP, should force all data through the firewall BL3 machine.

this would be a lot easier to explain with a picture. are attachments permitted?

When I am finished I should have one windows XP machine running:- a router/firewall, and several different domain names (each with a different live IP). Each domain will have it's own virtual machine to run it's software. Mostly synchronet bbs packages. So I'll have several domains, web servers, mail servers, etc all running on the one machine.
The bonus of using virtual PC is that I can use ANY windows XP machine to boot up and run the servers. No need to reinstall and configure for different hardware.

It also seemed like a cool idea to try out. I wanted to do it years ago but Virtual PC would not support a second network card, which was a requirement for making a firewall.