baslinux - Re: [BL] printing in BL3 with wp

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] printing in BL3 with wp
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 22:00:37 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

-------------------------------------
cat filename | dos2unix -d > /dev/lp0
-------------------------------------

What does the -d mean?

Convert Linux file to DOS file.

Why would I want dos2unix to print a linux file?

Because DOS files have a carriage-return/linefeed
at the end of each line in the file. Linux files
do not.

I finally figured this out.
dos2unix -u converts the file to unix
dos2unix -d converts it to dos

dos2unix alone (no switch) converts it to whatever it was not to start with.

When I use dos2unix -d it prints the page but ONLY after I also hit the paper out button. When I omit the dos2unix -d (and also hit the paper out button) it prints the first line, then starts printing the second line directly after the first but one line down (LF without CR) so this printer apparently needs the DOS CR.

The dot-matrix printer prints the linux file directly and also does not need the paper out button pushed. I will leave the dot-matrix as lp1 (default for linux wp) and set the inkjet printer to lp0 and use it as dos default.

Any ideas why the 672 is so much fussier than the dot-matrix with linux?
Did they stop building printers to be as universal?

The HP 500 also needs the DOS CR. But not the paper button.

If I set up lpd and then login as user am I likely to be able to print my email from a shell account the way I can in DOS (with kermit)? Right now it just prints to screen when I try.

I can print to the 672 in DOS while online at my linux-type shell account (it does CRs) but I still need to hit the paper out button sometimes.