baslinux - Re: [BL] printing in BL3 with wp

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] printing in BL3 with wp
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 03:01:09 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:
When I try to cat filename > /dev/lp0 I get the first
line printing across two lines (half a line on each)

Try the following:
-------------------------------------
cat filename | dos2unix -d > /dev/lp0
-------------------------------------
I was trying to print files produced by pico in linux so probably do not need dos2unix.

The first line is ALL that prints. What I was doing until now was copying the linux file to /tmp/document and printing with wp but this works only
on a computer with one parport.

I looked in wp and it appears to be assigning the LAST printer port as device:
device=`dmesg |grep lp |tail -n1| cut b1-3'

dmesg |grep lp - lp0: using parport0
lp1: using parport1
lp1 out of paper (it is not in use or printer is off)

dmesg |grep lp |tail -n1 : lp1 out of paper
The whole line inside the ` ` : lp1

So wp uses the last printer rather than lp0. How would I change it to use lp0 instead of lp1 where I have two lps? Can I simply edit it to read
device=lp0 ???

In cases of two parports, could you write a script that would choose the parport that is NOT 'out of paper' to print to?

I still don't know why when I cat document > /dev/lp0 that will not print.
The lights flash and I hear some noises. DOS prints as lpt1. Linux does not even load paper - yellow paper light is blinking. I even tried
cat document |dos2unix - d (it is a linux document to start with).

I could print 'document' on the computer with one parport (tho cat document > /dev/lp0 just produced one line of text from the same linux file) but that is temporarily not in service.