baslinux - Re: [BL] Divide overflow?

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Divide overflow?
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 12:09:20 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > The problem appears to be in running the two disks,
> > not making them,
>
> That's not what you said before. You said part2 wasn't
> being correctly copied to the second floppy.

It was not being copied FROM the second floppy to our 500MHz computer (the
one with hard disk reset problems that could not be used with floppy disk
BL2 well anyway unless I managed to do the hdparam thing to the .gz file
first). The first computer puts it on the second floppy disk but when I
boot from floppy disk then it won't load PART2. I think this first
computer has MSDOS. THe other two have DRDOS.

> > On one of my three computers it is NOT copying part2 a:
>
> There you go again. You are now saying that the problem
> is in making them.

Not copying PART2 from a: I apologize that I have been having a great
deal of trouble thinking straight and typing properly since my Monday
chemotherapy session. This morning I got an extra 2 hours sleep (total up
to at least 5) so hope to do better. The drugs interfere with memory as
well as sleep. On two computers when I put in the second disk it comes
back with:

C:PART1
A:PART2

Then Divide Overflow. Nothing more.

I will post exactly what is on the two disks, including file sizes.

On the third computer (with reset problem) I don't get the second line,
nor does the floppy drive do more than light once briefly and then nothing
else happens for at least 5 minutes but which time I have removed the disk
and rebooted and tried to make new disks again.

> > The junk in that directory is what I got by unzipping the
> > downloaded bl-2 files,
>
> Right. If it is a fresh unzip to an empty directory, then
> there will be no junk.

I will unzip the fd package to a separate directory not the one with the
other files in it. But I thought I needed zimage etc. in the same place,
which means using the same directory.

> > The floppy disks have the correct files on them,
>
> So there isn't a problem making them? Please make up your
> mind. Is there are a problem making the floppies or not?

They appear to have the correct files on them. It is a matter of getting
what was on my mind to come out correctly through my numb and shaky
fingers. I did warn people (those reading one of my postings) that this
week I would be having problems concentrating. Sorry to be confusing.

> > at least the one I check did (the one that won't copy Part2).
>
> If it won't copy Part2 to the floppy, how can you say the floppies
> have the correct files on them?

FROM the floppy to the ramdisk. Part1 appears to copy.

I will stick with the Cyrix computer with MSDOS since someone else is
having the same problem withthe same cpu and it is consistent.