baslinux - Re: [BL] Divide overflow?

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: g AT gurpal.co.uk, <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Divide overflow?
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 08:52:33 -0500 (EST)

I checked this again on my first of three computers where the 2-floppy
method is not working.

This one has a Cyrix cpu - 6x86L-PR200+.

I made both disks okay (except that it tells me I have copied 1 file(s) to
disk 1 three times and I end up with 10 files of which 2 are hidden).
I Try to boot from the set and it copies disk 1 and copies disk2 and I see
while copying disk2:

C:Part1
A:Parts - I see it copying, the floppy drive light is on, it makes the
usual copying noises, and suddenly tells me:

Divide overflow

This machine (Cyrix) works fine with BL2 ramdisk and DOS but crashes if
you try to run Opera under Win98 (and would not install Win98 without
crashing if I put in the P166cpu and ran it at full speed - it installed
at 150MHz but still crashed Opera)..

I get the same thing on my Intel Pentium I 166MHz with the 'F0 0F bug'
sometimes, but usually it won't even make the second disk. This machine
has been working perfectly with BL2 and DOS. It has some other bug
(popad?) for which linux has found a workaround.

AMD K6500MHz. (This machine had a reset problem due to timing that was
fixed with hdparam. Works fine with Win98 and DOS). Won't load Part2.
I see
C:PART1
then floppy drive light flashes briefly and then nothing else happens.

I checked and all the files are on both disks in all cases.

I tried several 100% good reformatted disks (format /u).

At one point before reformatting I discovered the second disk was no
longer 1.4M but 1.2M (no free space, just that one big file). Odd.

The first computer (did not try the others) boots fine from the 2-floppy
set made on my old 486 BL2.0. I will try making the 2 disks for BL2.1 on
the 486 laptop. Maybe this method is hardware dependent somehow? On the

Gurpal, thanks for confirming my problem - see the recent thread
Linux cannot read floppy disks. What cpu is in your computer?