b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Stress

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Yaakov Stein <yaakov_s AT rad.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Stress
  • Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 11:12:46 -0400

Yaakov,

We can not go on here with a discussion on the fundamental nature of the physical world. It will require of us seven lifetimes, and we will be very promptly cut short by the moderators asking that we return to Hebrew. Still I will make a brief comment on what you said and then rest my case. I will do it since whenever I say something which is not in line with the prevailing grammatical wisdom [the sacred "consensus"] I am accused of:
1. Bringing "insufficient evidence" to support my claim.
2. Giving no "proof" of my claim.
3. Arguing "unscientifically".
4. Making "silly", "funny" or "silly-funny" [or "funny-silly"] arguments.
You may be right that "Conservation of energy derives in an indisputable chain of mathematical logic from characteristics of space-time". After all mechanical energy is but the first integral of the equation of motion, an integral that includes a conserving constant of integration. Still, there is surely "insufficient evidence" for the "characteristics of space-time", they are axiomatic. However you may logically argue, eventually your argument can be retraced to an axiom.
In my opinion conservation of mass is an axiom. It is an axiom that denies the existence of material miracles.
We all know that there is even "insufficient evidence" for 1+2=2+1.

Isaac Fried, Boston University

On Oct 7, 2007, at 2:00 AM, Yaakov Stein wrote:

> As a scientist you should that there is "insufficient evidence" even for such fundamental laws of nature as conservation of energy and conservation of mass.

Sorry, not even close.

Conservation of energy derives in an indisputable chain of mathematical logic
from characteristics of space-time.

Conservation of mass is a first approximation to conservation of energy
for low energy interactions.

However, I don't expect such rigorous proofs here,
just something more convincing.

Of course, I purposely chose related words based on )CM,
but my parable was about the H suffix.

Y(J)S