b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Stress

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: george.athas AT moore.edu.au
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Stress
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 22:48:07 -0400

George,

I think I understand what you are saying, but concrete, in context, examples would make it clearer.

Isaac Fried, Boston University

On Oct 3, 2007, at 5:14 PM, George Athas wrote:

Isaac,

In your system, how do you accommodate the H on the end of cohortatives (ie,
expressions of will in the first person)? Do they refer to third party
pronouns? That would seem quite illogical to me. It seems to me that they are
best explained as either a particle adding urgency (similar to Yaakov's view)
or a throwback to an historical form.

Best Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
Moore Theological College (Sydney)