b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Stress

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Yaakov Stein <yaakov_s AT rad.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Stress
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 18:43:34 -0400

Yaakov,

I take it that by "LKH DWDY" you mean LKAH DODI [not LEKAH] of Song of Songs 7:12
לְכָה דוֹדִי נֵצֵא הַשָּׂדֶה
as borrowed into the Sabbath night piut by that name. If so, then the word "hurry" in your translation is, in my opinion, superfluous. I am afraid you are reading into the text something that is not there. It also sours for me the prose.
The KJV translates LKAH as "let us go forth".
In my opinion the final HA of LKAH is the personal pronoun HI) referring to the, DOD, the lover.
What makes you [and king James] actually think that LKAH is plural, referring to both lovers?

Isaac Fried, Boston University