b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Stress

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Yaakov Stein <yaakov_s AT rad.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Stress
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 07:52:18 -0400

Yaakov

You are saying:
"This theory is all the more unusual for the NXXXH forms, as when the verb is already in the plural"
You may be right that it is "unusual" in the sense of not being in the traditional grammar books, but it is unavoidable. We have no choice but to explain the nature of this extra AH within a systematic context and reason of Hebrew grammar. The Hebrew language is logical, systematic and transparent. There is not a "pips" in the Hebrew language that is not grammatically meaningful and logically explainable. I am sorry but I refuse to accept the idea that the ancient Hebrews idiosyncratically distorted and bloated ["paragogized"] their words not according to inherent grammatical logic but just "for purely poetic reasons". I can not agree with the argument that the ancient Hebrews inflated a word by a certain mysterious process of agglutination or HE-HI-zation just to make it look or sound more important, or endowed with some ephemeral additional shade of meaning such as "urgency".
As free thinking men it is our right and duty to boldly question the most cherished assumptions of the traditional Hebrew grammar books.
If you discard the notion, which I do without a shred of hesitation, that the additional -HA in RIYB-AH is clumsily stuck there just for extra volume and vocal effect, then what is it? It must be what it always is, the universal personal pronoun HI) as for instance in:
YALDAH = YALD-HI), 'a girl, girl-she'.
YALDAH = YALD-HI), 'she gave birth, gave-birth-she'.
YALDAH = YALD-HI), 'her YELED, her son, son-she'.
It is true that the last H is mupeket, but this internal speck is a mere minimal graphical mark anciently dropped into the letter to remind us of the discriminating nature of this final H. Those, who with great fanfare and deliberation cough out a H mupeket do it on their own cognizance. In fact, I am put off by this, occasionally heard, fanny barking out of the H mupeket.
Language is full of apparent redundancies. You may ask why is it PARX- AH HA-GEPEN and not PARAX HA-GEPEN, is GEPEN a woman? And why do we say HEM YA-$IR-U, they will sing', and not HEM YA$IR? The extra personal pronoun U = HU) following YA-$IR is obviously superfluous since HEM, 'they', is already clearly declaring the number. Give me a free hand and I will slash for you eighty percent of the English grammar without so much as a shade of damage.
Hebrew is in the habit of placing its referential personal pronouns in front of the root as in NA-RUC = )ANU-RUC, 'we will run', at the end of the root as in RAC-NU = RAC-)ANU, 'we ran', or at both ends of the root as in YA-RUC-U = HI)-RUC-HU), 'they will run'. In Psalms 57:8-9 A-$IR-AH =ANI-$IR-HI) is with both pronouns referring to the speaker, (UR-AH = (UR-HI) is with HI) referring to the dignity [essence, soul], the lyre and the fiddle [harp]. )A-(IR-AH is again with both pronouns referring to the speaker.
People are telling me that they "feel" that the last -HA of A-$IR-AH is for the $IR, as in the $IR-AH = $IR-HI), 'poetry', of Exodus 15:1, and that the last -AH of )A-(IR-AH is for the $AXAR, 'dawn'.
As for urgency, you can find it everywhere.

Isaac Fried, Boston University