b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Stress

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Reinhard G. Lehmann" <lehmann AT uni-mainz.de>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Stress
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 18:14:18 +0200

What a funny nonsense. A little bit knowledge in Ugaritic, Phoenician and other Ancient Northwest Semitic languages would be helpful - maybe. Nothing more to add here.

Yaakov, 1. We need to distinguish between what something actually
is, and what something is merely "As a matter of fact so-called", as
Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann puts it. 2. An ulterior stress makes YAMAH =
YAM-HI), into a 'lake, small sea' [in common use now but not found
in the Hebrew bible], with the feminine pronoun ending HI) used I
think for diminution, as in KAP, 'table spoon', versus KAPIT =
KAP-HI)-AT, 'tea spoon'. Also in existence is YAMAH = YAM-HI), 'her
YAM, her sea', with a mapik in the closing H. 3. In YAMAH = YAM-HI),
'to the sea, westward', the personal pronoun is for the sea itself
in lieu of "he hayedi(ah". 4. In RIBAH = RIB-HI) the personal
pronoun is for the addressee [address-he?], whereas in NA-LIN-AH and
NA-$KIM-AH, of Song of Songs 7:12-13, both NA and HA are personal
pronouns standing for the courting pair. [I don't think this NA is
"nu hazeruz", as in the commonly heard from impatient children NU
KBAR.] In the form NA-$KIB-AH, 'we will lay her down', the initial
NA is ) ANU for the speakers portending the act, and the last HI) is
for the person intended to receive the benefit of the act. In Song
of Songs 7:13 we also find PARX-AH = PARAX-HI), 'bloomed', with HI)
referring here to the vines themselves. 6. In Exodus 15:16 )EYMATAH
= )EYM-ATAH = )EYM-AT-HI), the final pronoun ATAH [or the compound
AT-HI)] is for the terror itself. In Daniel 7:7 we find V-EMTANI,
prompting the later derivatives: )EYMTAN = )EYM-AT-AN, 'terorist',
)EYMTANI = )EYM-AT-AN-HI) 'dreadful, fearful' and )EYMTANUT =
)EYM-AT-AN-HU)-AT, 'terrorization'. Isaac Fried, Boston University