xom-interest - RE: [XOM-interest] License Poll

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Michael Kay" <mike AT saxonica.com>
  • To: "'Luca Passani'" <passani AT eunet.no>, <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [XOM-interest] License Poll
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 09:36:45 -0000

> BUT the programmer who would like to adopt it has to stick
> to company politics that says "no GPL".

I have always told people who didn't like my choice of Saxon license that

(a) I can't change it, and
(b) if they don't want to use the software they don't have to

I now have a third answer for these people - they can buy a license. Oddly,
once people are paying they are prepared to accept much more restrictive
conditions on what they can do with the software. But I'm happy to take
their money.

I think some people have a problem with free software - they think there
must be a catch, and they devote vast amounts of legal time to finding it.
My advice is: either ignore them, or let them pay.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/