xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] LGPL vs. GPL with library exception

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Robert Koberg <rob AT koberg.com>
  • To: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] LGPL vs. GPL with library exception
  • Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 04:18:51 -0800

Elliotte Harold wrote:
Robert Koberg wrote:

heh...

its free except when it isn't. Or, freedom is free as long as you do it my way.

strange ideas about freedom...

XOM is free. Period. The only thing you're not free to do with it is restrict other people's freedom.

Sounds like the Apache style license.

The claims otherwise I often hear remind me of the religious nut cases who argue that their freedom of religion is imperiled because they aren't allowed to burn witches at the stale, as their religion requires them to do. (More modern versions include genital mutilation, stoning fornicators, and preventing other people from getting married.)

wow, a discusion about apache style licenses turns into that...

Another modern variation, though certainly not in the same class, "the viralness of software" -- I don't see how someone modifying open source software for their own (companies) use restricits other people's freedom (unless you use the same logic as those trying to prevent other people from getting married)

but, oh well