xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] LGPL vs. GPL with library exception

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Robert Koberg <rob AT koberg.com>
  • To: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] LGPL vs. GPL with library exception
  • Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 03:43:09 -0800

Elliotte Harold wrote:
Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:

Plus, for a software such as XOM that's primarily targetting ease of use with a shallow learning curve, it's not really helpful to have the legal department check licensing conditions and get a response some months later... "Get started today and have something working tomorrow" is a rather typical IT case. Might as well work with something else that get's the job done faster and safer (in the legal sense). The license is part of the usability puzzle and Apache style would help here...

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that before. Regardless, the viralness of the license isn't going to change. Perhaps I should say XOM's goals are freedom, correctness, simplicity, and speed, *in that order*.

heh...

its free except when it isn't. Or, freedom is free as long as you do it my way.

strange ideas about freedom...