xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] License Poll

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
  • To: Luca Passani <passani AT eunet.no>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] License Poll
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 09:42:02 -0500

Luca Passani scripsit:

> What's ERH?

Elliotte Rusty Harold.

> anyway, if there was a possibility to license XOM for money, I would be
> perfectly happy. WURFL is open source, but if someone some day asked
> me to do some work and license them WURFL and all of the dependencies,
> I would be more than happy to get away with letting a customer pay
> Elliotte 400 bucks and avoid any XOM license issues.

Only he can say whether he's willing to make deals like this. Some
people are, some aren't.

> I don't want to sound arrogant, but would I be wrong if I suspected
> that you have never been exposed to the internal politics of a
> medium-to-large sized american software company?

Hmm, let's see. I've been a professional software developer, someone
who's paid to write software, for almost 30 years now. My employers
have been large American companies. None of them have sold proprietary
software. (I did two brief stints for small proprietary-software
companies during college.)

I've been writing and distributing free software in a small way for
about half that time. Some was written on company time, some was not.

--
LEAR: Dost thou call me fool, boy? John Cowan
FOOL: All thy other titles http://www.ccil.org/~cowan