xom-interest - [XOM-interest] LGPL vs. GPL with library exception

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] LGPL vs. GPL with library exception
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 11:25:47 -0500

Multiple people have requested that I release XOM under the GPL with library exception instead of the LGPL.

One thing I have recently noticed is that this would seem to prohibit one important distribution technique. I do not think GPL with library exception allows XOM to be bundled with non-GPL libraries in a single JAR file. I think the LGPL does in fact allow this under section 7. GPL with library exception does not have an equivalent section 7. I'm not 100% sure of that, but I've read through the license a few times thinking about this, and each time I've come to the same conclusion.

I am considering whether it would make sense to bundle XOM together with Jaxen in a single JAR to address the problem Wolfgang raised where even new Element("Hello") fails unless Jaxen is in the classpath.

If anyone suspects I'm misreading the LGPL, and thinks I can't bundle non-GPL software with XOM in the same JAR, please let me know your thinking. To the extent, it makes a difference, the version of Jaxen I would be bundling has no dependence whatsoever on XOM; that is the org.jaxen.xom package would not be included. The bundled, non-GPL library would have no imports or subclasses or any other references to the LGPL library it's bundled with.

(Note: there is a technical exception here even if it is normally not allowed to bundle non-GPL and GPL software into a single package. Since I'm the owner of XOM, I can bundle anything else with it I like, provided the 3rd party licenses allow it. That is, I can make any exceptions to the LGPL in any way I like; but of course I want everyone else to be able to make such bundles too, not just me.)