xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] LGPL vs. GPL with library exception

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Steve Loughran <steve.loughran AT gmail.com>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] LGPL vs. GPL with library exception
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 21:46:15 +0000

Licenses are such a religious issue. I work in LGPL by day, Apache by
night, so I still cant cut from work code and paste into apache at
night.

For what it is worth, Apache are coming round to an opinion (always
ongoing discussions w/ the FSF), that LGPL libraries can be used in
Apache projects without contaminating anything. There is still some
concerns about subclassing, but imports are now viewed as OK. This is
still to be fully confirmed, always some details, etc, etc.

There are also some (vaguely related) changes in Ant1.7 to use maven
repositories to build.

if you use Ant as your launcher (or installer), you can include a
build file that tells ant to download whatever JAR, regardless of
location. you can hard code this today with the <get> task; it is just
being formalised.