xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] classloading bug with xom used in servlet

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Bill de hÓra <bill AT dehora.net>
  • To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org, Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] classloading bug with xom used in servlet
  • Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 13:42:11 +0000

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

This bug feels fairly significant to me. Do people think it's worth making a quick release just to fix this problem?

Yes.

Please consider documenting that it hasn't been tested outside the servlet enviroment (how servlets load classes in quite specific compared to the rest of J2EE which is a vendor-specific shambles). It will save folks a lot of time.

In general there is no single way to do this across multi-loader envionments unless you use ResourceBundles, which seem to work uniformally. The advanced-java list would a good place to bring a loading policy question up, but I suggest reading the link I sent to the list yesterday first, which might cover most of the use cases.

Bill de hÓra