xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] classloading bug with xom used in servlet

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <cowan AT ccil.org>
  • To: Bill de hÓra <bill AT dehora.net>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] classloading bug with xom used in servlet
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 23:05:58 -0500

Bill de h?ra scripsit:

> >Resource bundles work for strings and other simple types that can be
> >compiled into the code. However, looking at the API I don't see any way
> >to make a ResourceBundle load 64K of binary data. I did at one point try
> >to implement this using a large literal array. However, that ran up
> >against Java's limits on maximum method size. :-( Is there something
> >I'm overlooking?
>
> No I don't think you are; this aspect of Java really does suck.

One tactic is to use a big String, encoding each byte as a character.
Be sure to generate them using \ddd octal escapes rather than \udddd
Unicode ones, as the latter will cause syntax errors in certain cases.
That bypasses the method-size problem.

--
"You're a brave man! Go and break through the John Cowan
lines, and remember while you're out there