xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] classloading bug with xom used in servlet

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Bill de hÓra <bill AT dehora.net>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] classloading bug with xom used in servlet
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 15:11:06 -0500

At 1:42 PM +0000 2/3/04, Bill de hÓra wrote:

In general there is no single way to do this across multi-loader envionments unless you use ResourceBundles, which seem to work uniformally. The advanced-java list would a good place to bring a loading policy question up, but I suggest reading the link I sent to the list yesterday first, which might cover most of the use cases.

Resource bundles work for strings and other simple types that can be compiled into the code. However, looking at the API I don't see any way to make a ResourceBundle load 64K of binary data. I did at one point try to implement this using a large literal array. However, that ran up against Java's limits on maximum method size. :-( Is there something I'm overlooking?

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)