xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] classloading bug with xom used in servlet

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: John Cowan <cowan AT ccil.org>
  • Cc: Bill de hÓra <bill AT dehora.net>, xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] classloading bug with xom used in servlet
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 23:20:10 -0500

At 11:05 PM -0500 2/3/04, John Cowan wrote:

One tactic is to use a big String, encoding each byte as a character.
Be sure to generate them using \ddd octal escapes rather than \udddd
Unicode ones, as the latter will cause syntax errors in certain cases.
That bypasses the method-size problem.

Really? That's devious. I'm impressed. I'll consider that if the current getResourceAsStream approach causes problems for anyone.

Could this string be garbage collected after I'd decoded it into the byte array I really want? Or would I be carrying the same 64K of data around twice, once in a String and once in a byte array? In which case should I just hide the lookup table in the chars of a String rather than the bytes of an array in the first place?

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)