typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] What does everyone think about...

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "Mairead Case" <mairead.case AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] What does everyone think about...
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 15:02:43 -0500

One thing I've been super-impressed by is the way "young bands" (possibly "first bands" is more precise?) are promoting themselves. I mean this in terms of getting on the radar, but also terms used, theories credited and idols cited. A lot of these people came up just post-riotgrrl, but they got mixtapes from siblings, heard babysitters romanticizing, and so on -- so they have an interesting understanding of what worked and what didn't, two steps removed. I'm especially inspired by people like: the Shondes, Swan Island, Echolocations, Teenage Teardrops.

Relatedly awesome are the Girls' Rock Camps, in Pdx especially: http://www.urbanhonking.com/dokuchan/archives/2007/08/this_day_last_w.html . I mean, if somebody plays you Kathleen Hanna (etc., etc.) when you're seven, who knows what'll happen when eight hits.

Obviously things aren't this black and white, and it's hard to point to a single origin. But I'm seeing action in a lot of places, and so again: especially in a year dominated by Myspace marketing and many distros folding, I'm psyched to see people willing to try things onstage, bravely in the moment, and making zines.

M.