typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] What does everyone think about...

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: unmannedmission AT gmail.com
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] What does everyone think about...
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:03:29 -0400

It's kind of funny... because I guess it's like the difference between calling the Ying Yang Twins "Hip Hop" when if you wanted to be technical they're more "Rap." I'd say there's a difference between all female bands who are more punk than riot grrrl? While the sound may be similar, the content is more what would define it. So maybe my calling it a resurgence in riot grrrl was off, and it's more the resurgence of the sound... in general anyway. I guess it kind of mimics No Wave coming back in the early 2000's... and a lot of that being the same way... more about the finished sound than the process and constructive ethics.