typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] What does everyone think about...

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: unmannedmission AT gmail.com
  • To: TypicalGirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] What does everyone think about...
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 11:59:37 -0400

I was just curious what the list members thoughts were on the surge of new, younger artists taking a lot of queues from the riot grrrl movement of the early 90's. Finally Punk ( http://www.myspace.com/finallypunk), Kiosk (http://www.myspace.com/kiosk), for two and of course the projects of the forever hard working Allison Wolfe, and Tobi Vail as well. I've had several disagreements with people who complain that while the music these bands are making is fun... they're just not taking it anywhere new. Having grown up listening to Bikini Kill and Bratmobile a lot... I'm inclined to like this stuff for pure nostalgia, let alone that the music is great in its own right in my opinion. I think it's great that  the ideas that started a movement in underground music more than a decade ago, can still translate well to the next generation without coming across as trite and overly derivative. Anyone else, thoughts? Also, if you have info on similar bands, post em' up... i'd love to hear more.

justin