typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] Random Observation

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "Tim Murphy" <timmy.bear AT gmail.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] Random Observation
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 16:32:10 -0400

Was just thinking, while looking at albums by Liliput and the
Raincoats (and, for both Canadian content AND out-of-our-date-range,
Skarlett O'Hara and Ember Swift in Canada), that it is odd that each
of these bands incorporated a violin player at various points. Some
kind of reverse girl-cliche thing (girls can play string instruments,
but not drums or bass or...)? Of course, the fact that the Raincoats
certainly rarely used soothing smooth textures may suggest some
subversion.

I'm not wording this very well, I know...

I'm reminded of the story of how Tina and Chris from Talking Heads got
their son a little bass for his birthday, because they couldn't find a
drum kit small enough. Evidently, his reaction was: 'But bass is for
girls!' So sexism can adapt to non-traditional roles very well...

--
Let's have a round for these freaks and these soldiers. JONI MITCHELL