typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Random Observation

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Chuck Warner <chuck AT hyped2death.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Random Observation
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:18:35 -0400

Wow--

This is quite interesting. Between a boatload of late-60's-70s bands from Curved Air to It's a Beautiful Day to Dan Hicks --all the way up to Dixie Chicks ;o), there are/were TONS of bands with female singers and violinists. Often one and the same. Laurie Anderson, Tiny Town, Dambuilders, Tiny Lights, Rebby Sharp, Passionel, Hugo Largo, Ed's Redeeming Qualities, Scorched Earth Policy +++

Immediate memory fails me on many others, but the statistical correlation between women in bands and violins, violas and cellos is through the roof. Theories?

Interesting... (I'm a female rock violinst myself) I think
that, due to their arty bent, these bands wanted to
incorporate instruments that were not necessarily
considered rock-by-nature (rather than this being directly
related to gender). Tho I guess many people argue that the
off-kilter/experimental nature of Liliput and The
Raincoats' songwriting is a direct result of being
female/having a feminine aesthetic. There's something about
that argument that I don't like but I can't quite put my
finger on it. I guess it's just that I hate to see musical
ideas pigeonholed by sex when there are so many other ways
to describe music which don't invoke the whole ball of
gender stereotyping wax.
Emily
http://shepherdessband.com

--