typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Random Observation

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Emily Arkin <viole_falushe AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Random Observation
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 20:51:03 -0700 (PDT)

I second that emotion re: New Bloods. I missed them live
here but have been listening to their EP ever since. I
think TGers would definitely enjoy!

I agree that music is absolutely an expression of your
identity including gender (and I wasn't accusing anyone on
this list of overgeneralizing/stereotyping, nor do I think
we shouldn't talk about gender relates to music. It's more
I feel like I've heard too much about masculine/feminine
dichotomies in music criticism in general over the course
of life and sometimes it sets my teeth on edge).

I'm curious to know what others think of Reynolds and
Press's The Sex Revolts: Gender, Rebellion, and Rock n
Roll? I had mixed feelings about that book...I loved so
many of the bands covered and thought it had interesting
points but I also found I vehemently disagreed with many of
the arguments made. It's been a while since I read it
tho...

Emily