typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Random Observation

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "Kelsey Guntharp" <kbguntha AT hotmail.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Random Observation
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 15:51:58 -0700

In my opinion, I think that it's just that all of those bands added a "female" perspective to the music they were creating. And that was part of the point of it. There is something strange to me about picking things out like this as if they are weird. I know we don't want to divide the sexes but there is something specific about a woman's experience that I think most women can relate to, whether they identify with it or not (and i think a lot of us obviously don't). And learning string instruments perhaps was a feminine thing, particularly back then (seems like its much more acceptable to learn traditional rock instruments these days?). And it's because of incorporating these experiences that we have these awesomely amazing bands that changed the face of rock. I don't see it as stereotyping, and in a way I think not recognizing that detaches us.

I hope no one gets me wrong here, I in no way think that being a woman specifies someone to a particular style. But I do think music is about expressing oneself and as women, like I said, there are a lot of stereotypes and expectations that we carry with us everyday, everywhere. You can't deny it. We're just typical girls. (ha ha. couldn't resist that one.)

My 2 cents.

~Kelsey