sm-users - [SM-Users] Spells and Grimoires and Dependencies, oh my!!

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Kevin Monceaux <Kevin AT RawFedDogs.net>
  • To: Source Mage Users Mailing List <SM-Users AT Lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Users] Spells and Grimoires and Dependencies, oh my!!
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 14:31:29 -0500

Fellow SMGL enthusiasts,

Okay, now I think I'm finally getting to the fun part. And, of course, I
have a couple of questions.

As some suggested I switched from the stable grimoire to the test grimoire.
I then did the equivelant of a system-update. I went through all the
individual steps separately so I would get more sorcery practice. All
spells with newer versions in test were cast successfully except for netpbm.
Netpbm complained about a missing libxml/xmlreader.h file. I suspect the
spell in question is missing a dependency. Is there a gaze command to
inquire which spell provides the missing file? Also, when writing spells
how detailed should the DEPENDS file be? For example, I suspect almost all
spells depend on glibc and it would be doubtful that one would come across a
system that doesn't have glibc installed. But, looking at the DEPENDS files
from several spells as examples none list glibc as a dependency. I would
think ALL dependencies should be included in the DEPENDS file.

I know I sould probably learn to crawl before learning to walk, and learn to
write some simple spells before trying to update existing spells, but I was
anxious to get Hercules up to date. The Hercules mainframe emulator is one
program I use quite frequently. The latest version is 3.04.1. The version
in both test and stable is 3.02. And, I noticed a few anomalies with the
spell. It's DETAILS file shows:

UPDATED=20030717

But, it's HISTORY shows the last update on 2006-06-28. It had no DEPENDS or
CONFIGURE files. Also, it's in the utils section. Shouldn't it and similar
programs be in an emulators section? It doesn't appear that the test or
stable grimoires have an emulators section. I copied the spell to my local
grimoire, updated it to the latest version, and added a couple of optional
dependencies and threw in a config option. It didn't like my first attempt
at a CONFIGURE file. All it displayed for the prompt was:

[ ]

It had me scratching my head for a while until I figured out I had an
extraneous space after the trailing \ on the first config_query_option line.
After fixing that sorcery appeares to be happy with the spell.

What is the SGML procedures for "version bumps?" Can I submit my updated
Hercules spell or do the modificationis need to be done by a spell/section
maintainer?

I plan to tackle creating spells for SIMH(yep, I like emulators) and clip(a
Clipper/xBase compatable compiler) next.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org
Bruceville, TX