sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] Spells and Grimoires and Dependencies, oh my!!

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] Spells and Grimoires and Dependencies, oh my!!
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 16:05:50 -0700

Quoting Kevin Monceaux <Kevin AT RawFedDogs.net>:
Jeremy,
<snip>
So you only update UPDATED when you wanted them to recompile, but we don't
use that anymore (partly because it was confusing with that name).

So, if I submit a patch with an updated Hercules spell should I remove the
UPDATED line from the DETAILS file?

Any and all cleanup is appreciated. :) You may also notice that some packages have a BUILD_API=2 line in their DETAILS file, this is no longer needed for most grimoires as they have a grimoire-wide API_VERSION file which sets BUILD_API=2 (our second iteration of the Sorcery spell API) for any spell which doesn't override it (e.g. spells still on BUILD_API=1).

This is pretty typical for basic spells that don't have extra dependencies
(beyond things like glibc). If there are things that can be configured
about it beyond obscure options in the ./configure script, feel free to add
a CONFIGURE script (all ./configure options will be available during the
build already, but we do add the very common options as explicit queries in
CONFIGURE).

There are a couple of optional dependencies that Hercules is fairly useless
without. Hercules was cast successfully with the CONFIGURE and DEPENDS
scripts I added. I'll nit-pick through the Hercules documentation and
./configure --help output and see if anything else might be useful, do a
little polishing, and will probably have a patch ready for submission in the
near future.

We're all about options so fill it in with as many as you can test (and are prudent, you probably don't need to add queries for `./configure --program-transform-name` ;)).

<snip>
Do 3 or 4 of those and you'll start getting the "why don't you just get
commit access so you can apply these yourselves" responses.

I can live with that. Looks like I might have two already, if my minor
dependency fix for netpbm takes care of the problem.

Easy to play around with spells, isn't it? =)

(*You could also try your hand at cloning our git repo via http and making
your changes there, then publishing your changed repo as an http git repo
so the guru can pull it from you directly. git is new enough to us that we
aren't doing this yet with anyone but are excited about the potential.)

Looks like git's DEPEND file needs a little work:

gaze what git

/var/lib/sorcery/codex/test/devel/git/DETAILS: line 10: [: !=: unary operator expected

After the above error gaze did display the description.

You mean the DETAILS file? ;) Looks like someone forgot to quote the variables on DETAILS:10. Fixed in commit 426306f26dd856ed38d98f32e41568898e950c7a, thanks! :)

-sandalle

eric at sandall.us PGP: 0xA8EFDD61 | http://www.sourcemage.org/