sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] What Version Should I Be Using To Help With Testing

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: Source Mage Users Mailing List <SM-Users AT Lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] What Version Should I Be Using To Help With Testing
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:46:01 -0500

On Jul 18, Kevin Monceaux [Kevin AT RawFedDogs.net] wrote:
> Would a new user reporting problems with the 0.9.6 ISO help the Source Mage
> team in moving towards the 1.0 release?

Yes.

> If not, what would be the best way for me to help? I'm not quite ready
> to convert my main box to SMGL yet.

The ISO is the main thing driving the real 1.0 release schedule. However,
most people don't really need to install over and over to really put it
through it's pace, so for day-to-day what's usually needed as far as
testing is just filing spell bugs (and fixing them ;-).

> Since I'm running SMGL on a test box there's no problem running an unstable
> test version. The only drawback is the test box in question in an older
> Pentium MMX 200mhz box. So, compiling can take a while. If I remember
> correctly when testing Gentoo on it it took over a week to compile KDE.

It depends on how early you want to help catch bugs. The test grimoire is
where most day-to-day changes go on and what most developers and "power
users" run. Anything committed to test is "supposed to" at least compile
for the person that committed it, anything beyond that is technically a
bonus, though it's really pretty stable usually.

stable-rc is always the branch undergoing testing to become the next stable
release. Most of its testing is automated, but if you wanted to run it day
to day it would help guarantee it's solid. Some of the main devs tend to
keep at least one stable-rc box around to keep an eye on it but I don't
think many people run it actively.

You probably want to run either test or devel sorcery. I run test sorcery
on production servers. devel sorcery is currently quite actively working
on a staged install transition, similar to gentoo's "sandbox install"
thing. That's pretty exciting for us but may be a rocky yet so again, it
depends on how dirty you want to get your hands.

> P.S. I think Source Mage might be the first distribution I buy clothing,
> etc., for. I love the raven in the logo and have been eyeing a Source Mage
> t-shirt. When I see the logo I start thinking, "Once upon a midnight
> dreary, while I ponder weak and weary ..."

The raven's name is Quoth, BTW. :-)