sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] Spells and Grimoires and Dependencies, oh my!!

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Kevin Monceaux <Kevin AT RawFedDogs.net>
  • To: Source Mage Users Mailing List <SM-Users AT Lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] Spells and Grimoires and Dependencies, oh my!!
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 16:20:32 -0500

Jeremy,

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 03:12:34PM -0500, Jeremy Blosser wrote:

> gaze from path/to/file
> ^^^^ this is a regexp
>
> That won't help you if you don't have the file installed, but you can ask
> one of the irc bots to tell you if it knows of one:

That was the problem. I found info on "gaze from" in the gaze man page but
since the file didn't exist on my system it didn't help.

> <emrys> .from libxml/xmlreader.h
> <scry> Processing your request...
> <scry> libxml/xmlreader.h :: libxml2 (for a more verbose listing
> http://odin.dtdm.org/scry/)

Ah, that's what I needed. I also checked out the above url. Looks like it
could be very helpful when searching for things. I'll be sure to add it to
my URL database. I suspect netpbm is missing a dependency for libxml2.
I've added netpbm to my local grimoire and added a dependency of libxml2 to
it. I have a cast running right now. Hopefully that'll fix the problem.

> The policy is that if a spell uses something DIRECTLY it should have a
> depency on it. If it's a dependency of a dependency they don't need to
> list it. A lot of times things that are in basesystem (gaze DEPENDS
> basesystem) don't get added to the dependencies of other spells. For
> things like glibc this is acceptable, for things that might drop out of
> basesystem (eg wget) we try to avoid it.

Sounds like a plan.

> Ok this is where you start to get RTFM responses. :-) The spell files api
> is pretty well documented, so if you're going to work in spells, read that.
> eg, http://wiki.sourcemage.org/DETAILS reads in part:

RTFM responses are fine, especially ones like yours with a pointer to the
location of the info in question. I'm still learning my way around the SMGL
docs. I definitely have alot to learn.

> So you only update UPDATED when you wanted them to recompile, but we don't
> use that anymore (partly because it was confusing with that name).

So, if I submit a patch with an updated Hercules spell should I remove the
UPDATED line from the DETAILS file?

> This is pretty typical for basic spells that don't have extra dependencies
> (beyond things like glibc). If there are things that can be configured
> about it beyond obscure options in the ./configure script, feel free to add
> a CONFIGURE script (all ./configure options will be available during the
> build already, but we do add the very common options as explicit queries in
> CONFIGURE).

There are a couple of optional dependencies that Hercules is fairly useless
without. Hercules was cast successfully with the CONFIGURE and DEPENDS
scripts I added. I'll nit-pick through the Hercules documentation and
./configure --help output and see if anything else might be useful, do a
little polishing, and will probably have a patch ready for submission in the
near future.

> Open a bug and provide a patch* if you have one. The section maintainer or
> another guru will review the patch and apply it.

Will do.

> Do 3 or 4 of those and you'll start getting the "why don't you just get
> commit access so you can apply these yourselves" responses.

I can live with that. Looks like I might have two already, if my minor
dependency fix for netpbm takes care of the problem.

> (*You could also try your hand at cloning our git repo via http and making
> your changes there, then publishing your changed repo as an http git repo
> so the guru can pull it from you directly. git is new enough to us that we
> aren't doing this yet with anyone but are excited about the potential.)

Looks like git's DEPEND file needs a little work:

gaze what git

/var/lib/sorcery/codex/test/devel/git/DETAILS: line 10: [: !=: unary operator
expected

After the above error gaze did display the description.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org
Bruceville, TX