sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] Possibly A New User - Introduction

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: seth AT swoolley.homeip.net
  • To: Kevin Monceaux <Kevin AT RawFedDogs.net>
  • Cc: Source Mage Users Mailing List <SM-Users AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] Possibly A New User - Introduction
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 16:20:37 -0700

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 03:57:16PM -0500, Kevin Monceaux wrote:
> so I haven't started that process on my test PC yet. I did find one snag on
> my test PC that I didn't have under qemu. After the install finished and I
> booted Source Mage from the hard drive of my test PC I couldn't view man
> pages. When I tried "man sorcery", which worked right after the reboot
> under qemu, groff complained about a missing libstdc++ library. I suspect
> the "sorcery rebuild" will fix the missing dependencies. I'll get that
> started tonight after I get home from work.

man installed, but its dependency, g++ did not. The iso installer is a bit
dumber than sorcery itself when building from scratch, so that might have
been fixed recently. If not, this would be a good test case for the new
installer.

> Although I've only tinkered briefly with Source Mage there are a few things
> I've been pleasantly supprised with.
>
> Is running "sorcery update" followed by "scribe update" the equivelant of
> "emerge --sync" on Gentoo? Gentoo's "emerge --sync" takes an overabundant
> amount of time, especially the part of the process where it updates the
> portage cache. Updating Source Mage is extremely fast in comparison.

It's just an illusion ;)

> It appears that writing a spell for Source Mage is much simpler than
> creating an ebuild for Gentoo. It would be tuff to find a distribution that
> had all the packages one wants. Gentoo, for example, doesn't have a package
> for an xBase compiler, clip(http://www.itk.ru/english/index.shtml), that I
> use. After reading up on creating ebuilds I decided that the best approach
> would be to enter a bug in Gentoo's bug system requesting that someone with
> more ebuild experience create an ebuild for clip. I entered that request
> about a year ago. It hasn't been touched yet. Source Mage doesn't have a
> spell for clip either but I think I might stand a chance at writing one
> myself.
>
> One other build from source distribution that I'm considering, ROCK Linux,
> appears to make things even easier. With ROCK Linux creating a package from
> source is as simple as:
>
> Go through the usual build steps such as:
> ./configure
> make
> etc.
>
> Up to the point where one would run make install. At that point enter:
>
> mkpkg <PackageName> make install

alter -n <PackageName> -v <PackageVersion> make install

to install, copy the /var/cache/sorcery/packagename-packageversion*
file to the other computer in the same spot and:

dispel -d <PackageVersion> <PackageName>

(That was the resurrect shortcut, and I hope it still is,
Andrew, correct me if wrong)

If that doesn't work, just unpacking the file to the root directory works,
too, but you'd have to add your own entry to /var/state/sorcery/packages.

> and the software in question is installed under ROCK Linux's package
> management system. If it wasn't for the attraction of the sorcery theme of
> Source Mage I would probably have taken ROCK Linux for a test drive last
> night instead.

If that's how ROCK works, I'd be disapoointed.

<snip>

Oh, I just have to take a shot at this:

> Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

If this to-gather know-you, excess education have-you.

or, as I "gather" it:

If you know how to read this, you have excess education.
Seth