sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] Possibly A New User - Introduction

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: Source Mage Users Mailing List <SM-Users AT Lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] Possibly A New User - Introduction
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 17:48:55 -0500

On Jul 14, Kevin Monceaux [Kevin AT RawFedDogs.net] wrote:
> Is running "sorcery update" followed by "scribe update" the equivelant of
> "emerge --sync" on Gentoo?

Roughly:
emerge portage ==> sorcery update
emerge --sync ==> scribe update

> Gentoo's "emerge --sync" takes an overabundant amount of time, especially
> the part of the process where it updates the portage cache. Updating
> Source Mage is extremely fast in comparison.

Yes. A common observation is that we "compile faster" than Gentoo; this
made little sense to us since compiling is compiling, but it appears to
come down to our package manager being faster at package management.
Gentoo of course is working on replacing portage with other things that are
better.

> It appears that writing a spell for Source Mage is much simpler than
> creating an ebuild for Gentoo. It would be tuff to find a distribution that
> had all the packages one wants. Gentoo, for example, doesn't have a package
> for an xBase compiler, clip(http://www.itk.ru/english/index.shtml), that I
> use. After reading up on creating ebuilds I decided that the best approach
> would be to enter a bug in Gentoo's bug system requesting that someone with
> more ebuild experience create an ebuild for clip. I entered that request
> about a year ago. It hasn't been touched yet. Source Mage doesn't have a
> spell for clip either but I think I might stand a chance at writing one
> myself.

If you can read and write you can probably manage writing a spell. :-)

> One other build from source distribution that I'm considering, ROCK Linux,
> appears to make things even easier. With ROCK Linux creating a package from
> source is as simple as:
>
> Go through the usual build steps such as:
> ./configure
> make
> etc.
>
> Up to the point where one would run make install. At that point enter:
>
> mkpkg <PackageName> make install
>
> and the software in question is installed under ROCK Linux's package
> management system. If it wasn't for the attraction of the sorcery theme of
> Source Mage I would probably have taken ROCK Linux for a test drive last
> night instead.

You may want to look at quill, which is a spell-writing tool in the
guru-tools spell.