sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] first experiences and problems

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] first experiences and problems
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 23:59:02 +0100

> know that this can be changed by hand by editing
> /etc/sysconfig/facilities or by answering a question during spell

Seen facilities and yes: replacing xdm with kdm in the concerned line does
the trick and reverse the situation for xdm and kdm.
It may make sense to prohibit potential starting of conflicting providers,
but a error message indicating that situation instead of "an error occured"
would be nice.

> there is an automated way to change it after the fact. There probably is

There is one: telinit spellinstall kdebase. Then answering all questions with
yes.
Uneducated User (me) falls over this:

I am asked to install the script: Yes, no problem.
I am asked to enable the script: No, not yet: I think I want to do this
later...
I am asked if it should be default provider: No... maybe in the future.

I assumed that I can do the stuff that I wanted later (like SysV with doing
the symlinks manually). OK, the init system is different there... that's OK,
since it spares me the burden to define the order in which services are
started and do the start/stop links in multiple runlevel directories (I still
have to figure out how exactly the different runlevels are built).
What I don't understand is what exactly is the sense of separated "enabling"
and "default" questions is... enabling without making it default results in a
non-working init script. Default without enabling? Hm... that makes the
provided facility entirely unavailabe, doesn't it?

Apart from that... telinit could also allow changing the default (and in fact
sole!) provider along with enable since enable obviously make no sense
without this.

Btw: I peeked at the telinit man page... is this really the same program?

Thomas.