sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] first experiences and problems

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jflatt AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] first experiences and problems
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 11:02:17 -0800

On Friday 02 December 2005 02:59 pm, Thomas Orgis wrote:

> > there is an automated way to change it after the fact. There probably is
>
> There is one: telinit spellinstall kdebase. Then answering all questions
> with yes. Uneducated User (me) falls over this:
>
> I am asked to install the script: Yes, no problem.
> I am asked to enable the script: No, not yet: I think I want to do this
> later... I am asked if it should be default provider: No... maybe in the
> future.
>
> I assumed that I can do the stuff that I wanted later (like SysV with doing
> the symlinks manually). OK, the init system is different there... that's
> OK, since it spares me the burden to define the order in which services are
> started and do the start/stop links in multiple runlevel directories (I
> still have to figure out how exactly the different runlevels are built).

The scripts are executed in order from %1 to %5 + %S. If in
your /etc/sysconfig/init file, DEFAULT_RUNLEVEL is set to 3, then all scripts
are executed in %1, then in %2, and finally in %3. Then it stops executing
init scripts (except for %S, and I don't know when those scripts are
executed).

> What I don't understand is what exactly is the sense of separated
> "enabling" and "default" questions is... enabling without making it default
> results in a non-working init script.

Not non-working, but probably non-executing at start up. :^) It could still
be executed manually at a later time.

> Default without enabling? Hm... that
> makes the provided facility entirely unavailabe, doesn't it?

Yeah, that's probably true. I'm racking my brain trying to come up with a
situation where you might want that, but failing. That may be a bug, in that
if a service is not enabled, sorcery or the spell should not ask for it to be
the default.

> Apart from that... telinit could also allow changing the default (and in
> fact sole!) provider along with enable since enable obviously make no sense
> without this.
>
> Btw: I peeked at the telinit man page... is this really the same program?

Try `telinit --help` to get the information you want. The man page is for
the
non-modified-for-Source-Mage version.

--
Jason Flatt
Source Mage GNU/Linux: Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic.