sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] first experiences and problems

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • Cc: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] first experiences and problems
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 15:15:24 -0800

On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 11:24:15PM +0100, Thomas Orgis wrote:
> > no, you would have gotten it if the original source location didn't have
> > it for some reason. It automatically falls back to mirrors unless you
> > tell it not to.
>
> Wouldn't it make sense to let it retry download from a mirror if the
> original package didn't pass integrity check (no valid file there ==
> not there)?
>
> Thomas.

An integrity check failure should be fatal, in my book. Sorcery could
go searching mirror after mirror wasting tons of bandwidth if the reason
is simply that the upstream source changed behind our backs. A failure
could be made to go directly to our mirrors, but then you run into a
similar issue, all our mirrors would get hit a lot by mistaken hashes or
signatures. If you have a suggestion of an algorithm that would work
well without overburdening some part of the mirror chain, perhaps by
falling back directly to our mirrors (which should be accurate to our
own grimoiire in any case) but failing after the second failed integrity
check, then we might be able to implement it.

Seth

Quality Assurance Team Leader & Security Team: Source Mage GNU/linux
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Key id 63C1E02F = E07A FB0E 5925 CE4A 6526 2AD5 1782 FEC2 63C1 E02F